AD

what to do when a potential reference turns you down

A reader writes:

How do I respond to a rejection email from a potential reference? I am a graduate student and requested a reference from a professor I know well. I was shocked when she responded, “You can use me as a reference, but I would have to be honest… if they ask me about your timeliness or reliability for example, I cannot say that it is excellent. That would be quite bad for you so I’m not sure if I’m the right person to be your best reference. I hope you understand.”

I disagree with her appraisal that I am not reliable, and am wondering why she feels this way. I was late with an assignment, and to her class in the beginning of the semester, but was consistently early after we spoke about it. How do I respond?

I answer this question — and four others — over at Inc. today, where I’m revisiting letters that have been buried in the archives here from years ago (and sometimes updating/expanding my answers to them). You can read it here.

Other questions I’m answering there today include:

  • Can I shorten my notice period when resigning?
  • Should we re-hire employees who quit and now want to return?
  • How can I help a staff member get better at thinking on her feet?
  • Can I put work on my resume that I can’t verify?

what to do when a potential reference turns you down was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.



from Ask a Manager https://ift.tt/2TH3szw
via IFTTT
what to do when a potential reference turns you down what to do when a potential reference turns you down Reviewed by TUNI ON LINE CENTER AMBIKAPUR on मार्च 30, 2019 Rating: 5

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

Watch: BBC questions Infantino over backing as Fifa president

The head of the football governing body has faced multiple calls to quit after his aborted attempt to sell private stakes in the World Cup. ...

Blogger द्वारा संचालित.