AD

how to deal with a rude intern

A reader writes:

I am a relatively new manager who is having an odd issue with my intern. He has been with us for about two months, and in that time I have noticed that his basic professional manners are incredibly lacking-much more than I might reasonably expect for someone just out of college who has never worked in an office before. He is very abrupt in his questions and requests, especially over email; he never says (or implies) “please,” rarely says “thank you,” and does not apologize if he inconveniences me or anyone else on our team. He does this most pointedly with our most junior full-time staff member; for example, instead of politely asking her to print a non-urgent document from her machine when his connection to the printer suddenly went down, he recently sent her an email from across the room saying only “Print this.”

His hard skills are fine; he does a decent job on the tasks that we give him, but his tone ranges from a bit to incredibly snotty (a second example: when I asked him what he thought of a senior board member’s recent presentation, he told me only that he thought it could have been shorter). I definitely appreciate that managing interns is part manager, part professional etiquette instructor, but I never thought that “please,” “thank you,” and not barking orders to colleagues (especially those senior to you), would have to be part of this. How can I bring this up to him?

I answer this question — and four others — over at Inc. today, where I’m revisiting letters that have been buried in the archives here from years ago (and sometimes updating/expanding my answers to them). You can read it here.

Other questions I’m answering there today include:

  • I look young and it’s affecting me professionally
  • Turning down an internal promotion
  • New company wants me to start earlier than I want to start
  • Should I share a referral bonus with a friend?

how to deal with a rude intern was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.



from Ask a Manager http://bit.ly/2RmMYLE
via IFTTT
how to deal with a rude intern how to deal with a rude intern Reviewed by TUNI ON LINE CENTER AMBIKAPUR on जनवरी 31, 2019 Rating: 5

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

GB's Neita wins 100m at Doha Diamond League

Britain's Daryll Neita beats American Tamari Davis to claim victory in the women's 100m at the Diamond League meeting in Doha. fro...

Blogger द्वारा संचालित.