AD

how can I be a good manager?


A reader writes:

Long story short, I finished grad school about two years ago and started a company with a colleague. It has evolved into something much bigger and better than either of us anticipated. We now have three full time staff – another statistician (like us), a software developer, and an office/operations manager. We also have some part-time contractors.

I’m 32 and besides being a maid during university and various academic research/teaching positions, I’ve never had a ‘real’ job. Now all of a sudden, I’m a manager in the private sector, and I live in perpetual fear of being a horrible one. My co-founder and I have great communication (she has a background in psychology and we’ve both been through lots of therapy!) so we like to talk about our feelings. But I have been really struggling with how to best communicate with and support our staff. I’m not used to the boss/employee dynamic. My primary concerns are:

(1) Finding the right balance of casual, fun startup vibes but also making sure I command enough respect that people understand I have the final say.

(2) Identifying my weaknesses/flaws that I might be entirely oblivious to. It’s hard to get honest feedback from such a small team, and I’m not sure how to best solicit it.

Short of going back in time and getting some work experience before accidentally starting a company, how can I learn to be a solid, effective manager now?

 

 

how can I be a good manager? was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.



from Ask a Manager http://bit.ly/2DIDW86
via IFTTT
how can I be a good manager? how can I be a good manager? Reviewed by TUNI ON LINE CENTER AMBIKAPUR on जनवरी 31, 2019 Rating: 5

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

GB's Neita wins 100m at Doha Diamond League

Britain's Daryll Neita beats American Tamari Davis to claim victory in the women's 100m at the Diamond League meeting in Doha. fro...

Blogger द्वारा संचालित.